The greatest challenge is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.

Sunday, June 27, 2010

Henri matisse

He who loves, rejoices


A picture must possess a real power to generate light and for a long time now I’ve been conscious of expressing myself through light or rather in light. I have always tried to hide my efforts and wished my works to have a light joyousness of springtime which never lets anyone suspect the labors it has cost me.

An artist must never be a prisoner. Prisoner? An artist should never be a prisoner of himself, prisoner of style, prisoner of reputation, prisoner of success, etc. An artist must possess Nature. He must identify himself with her rhythm, by efforts that will prepare the mastery which will later enable him to express himself in his own language.

I do not literally paint that table, but the emotion it produces upon me. I don’t paint things. I only paint the difference between things.

He who loves, flies, runs, and rejoices; he is free and nothing holds him back.

by Henri Matisse (1869 – 1954 )



There is an interesting story associated with this picture (Les joueurs de boules, 1908), and a patron of Matisse, S.I. Shchukin. Thought of Aleph instantly!
‘My art is said to come from the intellect. That is not true; everything I have done, I have done through passion.’
‘I have chosen to put torments and anxieties behind me, committing myself to the transcription of the beauty of the world and the joy of painting.’
Love and Blessings, Jane


http://www.facebook.com/#!/paulocoelho