You must know why you are doing this, what you want to get out of it, and how it is going to impact your life and the life of others. Once you have found your purpose, you must be determined to realize it.
To keep on track to the changes you envision for yourself :
1. 'Burn the boats" so you won't be tempted by your old ways.Commitment means a non-negotiable agreement with yourself. Write it down.
2. Write an Action Plan with steps neatly layed out to your smart* goals. You need to know what actions you are going to make so that you can make space for them on your schedule.
3. Write down your typical excuses for not taking the actions in your plan and have strategies ready in advance to over rule your excuses.
4. Give yourself time frames to reach milestones in your plan to create some urgency. Deadlines!motivate you to take action.
5. Put it on your daily 'to do' list.
6. Make it part of your daily routine. Checklist. **
7.Moniotor your day's activities in a journal and ensure your behavior was that that you scheduled. Once a week review your progress and make goals for the coming week.
8. Be encouraged by your daily and weekly progress. What did you do right? Keep your eye on the Big Picture to keep motivated when progress slows.
9. Constantly choose to take actions consistent with your goals. Temptations to do otherwise can be dealt with in the moment that you need to make a choice. like r.r. insert ae phrase
10. Role model to copy What would Warren Buffet do? Albert Ellis? Albert Schweitzer? Arnold the Bodybuilder? Arnold the Govenor? and any other person with the qualities you are trying to mimick in your own behavior. We are like actors in a play untill certain behaviors and thinking are our own and become automatic.
11. With repetition of right actions become habit. Trust the process.
12. Read your written goals and your purpose daily. Avoid letting your resolve drift. We need constant reminders to stay on track.
*s.m.a.r.t. = specific, measurable, action-oriented, results-oriented, time-based
**People do not generally have just one thing they are resposible to achieve with thier time. I intend to explore the concept of a checklist for living that is something like the review a pilot takes before a flight. Make sure all systems are go.