The greatest challenge is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.

Monday, February 21, 2011

Lessons Learned




"Our deepest calling is to grow into our own authentic self-hood, whether or not it conforms to some image of who we ought to be. As we do so, we will not only find the joy that every human being seeks--we will also find our path of authentic service in the world."

"The winters will drive you crazy until you learn to get out into them."

"Before I can tell my life what I want to do with it, I must listen to my life telling me who I am."

"Humility is the only lens though which great things can be seen--and once we have seen them, humility is the only posture possible."

"In my own life, as winters turn into spring, I find it not only hard to cope with mud but also hard to credit the small harbingers of larger life to come, hard to hope until the outcome is secure. Spring teaches me to look more carefully for the green stems of possibility; for the intuitive hunch that may turn into a larger insight, for the glance or touch that may thaw a frozen relationship, for the stranger's act of kindness that makes the world seem hospitable again."

"We need a coat with two pockets. In one pocket there is dust, and in the other pocket there is gold. We need a coat with two pockets to remind us who we are."

"I want my inner truth to be the plumb line for the choices I make about my life - about the work that I do and how I do it, about the relationships I enter into and how I conduct them."

"Science requires an engagement with the world, a live encounter between the knower and the known."

"A scholar is committed to building on knowledge that others have gathered, correcting it, confirming it, enlarging it. "

— Parker J. Palmer
 (The Courage to Teach:  Exploring the Inner Landscape of a Teacher's Life)