Mindfulness is a moment-to-moment awareness that allows for the development of clarity, compassion, and joy making it possible to live a life of happiness and freedom.
Lovingkindness practice, also known as Metta, cultivates the natural capacity for an open heart and a deepening of connection with all beings.
May all beings be peaceful
May all beings be happy
May all beings be free
"My friends, it is through the establishment of the lovely clarity of mindfulness that you can let go of grasping after past and future, overcome attachment and grief, abandon all clinging and anxiety, and awaken an unshakable freedom of heart, here, now."
"My religion is kindness." ~ Dalai Lama
"You can search throughout the entire universe for someone who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are yourself, and that person is not to be found anywhere. You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."
There are many books and talks available for those wishing to learn more about Insight Meditation (Vipassana). Following is a short list of classic texts that we recommend:
- The Wise Heart by Jack Kornfield
- Seeking the Heart of Wisdom by Joseph Goldstein & Jack Kornfield
- Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Henepola Gunaratana
- Dancing With Life by Phillip Moffitt
- Insight Meditation-The Practice of Freedom by Joseph Goldstein
- Insight Meditation by Sharon Salzberg & Joseph Goldstein
- Lovingkingness-The Revolutionary Art of Happiness by Sharon Salzberg
- The Heart of Buddhist Meditation by Nyanaponika Thera
- The Noble Eightfold Path by Bhikkhu Bodhi
- Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life with the Heart of the Buddha by Tara Brach
- Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation: A 28-Day Program by Sharon Salzberg
Southern Dharma Insight Meditation Community of DC
Insight Meditation Society
Spirit Rock Meditation Center