The greatest challenge is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Being Present When Buying Presents

Being Present When Buying Presents

How can mindfulness and shopping go together? 

It's that time of year again. I see signs of it everywhere, and the "big event" is almost here. You know what I'm talking about: Black Friday! Maybe you thought I meant Thanksgiving, and the wonderful opportunities to express appreciation to ourselves and others in celebration of the holiday. But no. Here in NYC, I see more signs and announcements about the upcoming shopping deals than anything about Thanksgiving. So, rather than talk about gratitude, I thought that I would talk about shopping. Mindfulness is about accepting what is, you know. However, if you would like to read about the power of gratitude, you can check out my post from last year.

So, how can mindfulness and shopping go together? Isn't there something antithetical about them? If we're mindful, aren't we supposed to not want anything?

Read more at:  http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/urban-mindfulness/201011/being-present-when-buying-presents